Mexican Bean Soup
Variety is the spice of life and this versatile soup is full of both with flamin’ flavour and colour!
This spicy soup is best served chunky and can include any left overs you’d like to use up – maybe add some sweetcorn or carrot; any beans you like! You can top with tortilla chips and cream; maybe add a side of guacamole. Ariba!
- Tinned or chopped tomatoes
- Haricot beans (or baked beans)
- Kidney Beans
- Dwarf or runner beans chopped
- 1 red pepper
- Chilli pepper/s
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin or preferred spices
- Coriander (Sprinkling)
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 2 Vegetable stock cubes
Please note that our recipes are an approximate guideline - Quantities along with ingredients are totally adaptable to suit personal taste, consistency and density as well as portion sizes. Also you can add or reduce chilli peppers/powder and spices dependent on whether you like mildly spicy to really hot!
Please note that our recipes are an approximate guideline - Quantities along with ingredients are totally adaptable to suit personal taste, consistency and density as well as portion sizes.
- If you prefer this soup smooth, chop peppers, beans and onions into 1cm pieces maximum size to help ensure a smooth soup after blending. You can of course enjoy this soup chunky also; in fact we recommend chunky.
- Soup Makers are a kitchen dinner winner for quick convenience using your fresh produce for a warming healthy and hearty appetiser. You can ‘chuck’ all your ingredients in and press the button!
- However, if you are making soup the traditional way on your hob, here’s how:
- Soften the onions in some oil in a large pan and also add your cruched garlic cloves, red pepper and chilli pepper/s. Add your chopped/tinned tomatoes, beans, sprinkled stock cubes, stir in and add spices (however much or little as you like). Add water, bring to the boil and simmer!
- You can leave chunky, manually mash or blend for a completely smooth soup. You can add water if it’s too thick or thicken your soup up with added cooked veg or an extra stock cube – allow to simmer until you’re happy with the flavour and texture – taste testing for best results! A dash of cream will add some luxury and cool down a spicy hot soup!
- Transfer to a blender for a lump-free liquid soup and back to the pan and heat before serving. You can garnish your poured soup with a swirl of cream and/or tortilla chips or perhaps a sprinkling of your favourite herbs such as coriander.
- 20-30 mins prepping and cooking time.
- Fab for the flask to take to the allotment on a cold day!