A traditional Russian dish that is a rich and creamy family favourite
Please note that our recipes are an approximate guideline - Quantities along with ingredients are totally adaptable to suit personal taste, consistency and density as well as portion sizes.
An easy one-pot casserole type dish, which you can make on the hob, in an oven proof casserole dish or in the slow cooker.
I use a slow cooker, so I tend to throw it all in and leave on low all day, stirring occasionally unil I serve. The same goes for using the oven but I would cook on about 150 degrees for a few hours or until the meat is really tender.
1. Optional but you can firstly coat your beef chunks in flour and season.
2. Heat some olive oil in a pan and add your beef, chopped onion and crushed garlic for a few minutes until the onions are softened and the beef is sealed (brown on the outside).
3. Add the mushrooms and butter, they don't take very long to soften.
4. Stir in your cream/creme fraiche and add the mustard and pepper/peppercorns to taste.
5. I usually add a beef oxo cube crumbled in to add some more flavour but that is optional.
If you want a thicker sauce, you can add a small amount of cornflour but do this very gradually or you will find that you will soon have to water it down again.
6. Allow to simmer on low until the meat is tender and you have the desired flavour and consistency.
7. Sprinkle with parsley or chives to garnish and serve with rice or pasta such as tagliatelle.