A classic sweet treat for afternoon tea!
We all love a cuppa and a slice of cake, especially when they're so simple to bake!
- 5 ounces plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces of sugar
- 4 ounces of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
For the cake filling
- 5 ounces butter
- 10 ounces of icing sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Vanilla Essence
- Couple of spoonfuls of water or milk
- Food colouring (optional)
Please note that our recipes are an approximate guideline - Quantities along with ingredients are totally adaptable to suit personal taste, consistency and density as well as portion sizes.
- Grease two cake tins and pre-heat your oven to 190 degrees
- Mix together your sugar, butter and eggs into a smooth and airy mixture
- Gradually add your sieved flour and baking powder
- Pour your smooth cake mixture equally into the two tins and cook for approx 25 minutes until golden brown and bouncy!
- To make your buttercream filling, mix your butter, icing sugar and vanilla essence - gradually add your milk or water until you get a smooth but firm consistency (Food colouring is optional)
- Allow to cool and spread your favourite jam onto one half of your cake and your butter cream filling onto the other before placing it on top of the bottom half to form a sandwich
- Dust the top of your cake with some icing sugar